Corewell Health to host Community Grand Rounds
BENTON HARBOR — Corewell Health in Southwest Michigan will host the Community Grand Rounds: Black Maternal and Infant Health Summit from 2 to 4:30 p.m. today. The event will be held at the Lake Michigan College Mendel Center, Grand Upton Hall, 1100 Yore Ave., with a virtual attendance option also available.
The keynote speaker will be Dr. Sekeita Lewis-Johnson, board-certified family nurse practitioner, international board-certified lactation consultant and doula. Following the keynote presentation, four community leaders and advocates for justice in Black maternal and infant health will discuss ways to elevate strategies that address Black maternal and infant health inequities, including breastfeeding support in the Black community. Audience members will have the opportunity to ask the panelists questions.
Community members can find more information about and register for this free event at spectrumhealthlakeland.org/2023-cgr-event.
SOUTH BEND — Downtown South Bend Inc. will offer free yoga, Zumba and more every Saturday through Aug. 26. The program is held at the Gridiron, 122 S. Michigan St. The drop-in classes are free and open to all ages and skill levels. Participants should dress in appropriate clothing and footwear, bring a mat and adequate fluids, and will be required to sign a waiver for the season. Free parking is available on the street and in the Leighton Parking Garage; enter off Jefferson Boulevard. Saturday’s class includes 8 a.m. Yoga; 9 a.m. Zumba; 10 a.m. Les Mills Tone. For more information, visit downtownsouthbend.com/summer-fitness-series.
ST. JOSEPH — Corewell Health in Southwest Michigan is enrolling individuals in its free, yearlong Diabetes Prevention Program that starts Sept. 11. Participants will meet in a group setting to learn healthy eating, how to add physical activity into a routine, tips for managing stress, and ways to stay motivated and solve problems that can get in the way of healthy lifestyle changes. Classes will be held in-person at the Center for Outpatient Services, 3900 Hollywood Road. During the first four months, participants will meet weekly, for one hour, then bi-weekly for four months, and monthly for the last four months. An online option is also available. There is no cost for this program, and a doctor’s referral is not required. Space is limited and registration is required. To learn more or to register, call 269-556-7171 or visit spectrumhealthlakeland.org/dpp.
SOUTH BEND — Alzheimer’s and Dementia Services of Northern Indiana will offer the free class “Understanding Apathy” from 10 to 11 a.m. Aug. 28 in the Care Partner Academy. Patty Piechocki, director of the Institute for Excellence in Memory Care, will lead this live/interactive web session. Participants can connect through their computer. Register online at https://alzni.org/caregivers/caregiving/ and search the class title.
SOUTH BEND — RiverBend Cancer Services Wellness House, 3516 E. Jefferson Blvd., will offer the following “Living Well with Cancer” classes. All classes are free and open to cancer patients, survivors, their families, and caregivers; please pre-register for all classes by calling 574-287-4197.
• Seated Strength — 10 a.m. Aug. 28 and Aug. 30. Strength building class that may utilize light weights and bands while seated or with a chair for support. Class size is limited.
• Gentle Yoga — 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 28. Floor yoga class suitable for all levels of experience. Bring your own mat. Class size is limited.
• Chair Yoga — 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. or 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 29 and Aug. 31. Modified poses that can be done from a seated position and with a chair for support. Class size is limited.
• MELT — 1 p.m. Aug. 29.
• Massage — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Reiki — 2 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Dominoes — 2 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Yarnwork — 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 31.
• Debbie’s Wig Salon — 1 to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 31. RiverBend provides free wigs, hats and scarves to those in treatment. Call to make an appointment.
• Personal Training — 2 to 4 p.m. Aug. 31.
MISHAWAKA — Battell Community Center, 904 N. Main St., offers the following fitness classes. Fees and charges are subject to change without prior notice.
• Cardio Drumming — Combines dance and fitness. All skill levels are welcome. 6:30 p.m. Mondays; 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost: $5 per class.
• Middle Eastern Dance — Fitness and fun for all ages. Level 1 (beginners), 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays; Level 2 (intermediate/advanced), 7:15 to 8:15 p.m. Wednesdays; Level 3 (approval from Ruby); 6 to 7 p.m. Mondays. For cost and information, contact Ruby at 574-315-1915.
• Aerobics — Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 to 10 a.m. Start a morning exercise routine.
• Senior Shape Up — Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:15 to 11:15 a.m. All exercises are done while sitting in a chair or standing near the chair.
• Line Dancing — Tuesdays, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Open to all skill levels.
BERRIEN COUNTY — The Veggie Van will be at the following locations offering free, locally grown fruits and vegetables and nutrition information.
• First Church of God, 990 N. Euclid Ave., Benton Harbor, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 30.
• University Medical Specialties, 9045 US Highway 31, Berrien Springs, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 13.
These events are drive-thru style and participants can remain in their vehicles. A total of 100 bags will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
ST. JOSEPH — Corewell Health Lory’s Place, 445 Upton Drive, will host a pet remembrance celebration from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Sept. 1. This is a free event aimed to provide a safe and supportive opportunity for people to connect and enjoy time with others whose pets have died. Space is limited and registration is required by Aug. 25. Adults and children are welcome. Call 269-983-2707 to register.
BUCHANAN — A GriefShare Support Group Introduction will be held at the Buchanan Area Senior Center, 810 Rynearson St. from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 29. The GriefShare program is offered to help, comfort and encourage people after the death of a spouse, child, family member or friend. This is a nondenominational program that will be held at the Buchanan Christian Church from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Mondays, Sept. 11 to Dec. 4. Call 269-695-7119 to register.
Medical Foundation will hold the following drives. Register at givebloodnow.com:
• Erskine Village, 1290 E. Ireland Road, South Bend, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 25.
• Clayton Homes, 66700 Indiana 19, Wakarusa, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 25.
• Niles Elks Lodge, 1322 Canal St., Niles, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 26.
• Compassion Experts and Labex, 51541 Bittersweet Road, Granger, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 28.
• Maple City Chapel, 2015 Lincolnway E., Goshen, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 28.
• Northern Indiana Axle, 1780 W. Market St., Nappanee, noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 29.
• Southern Michigan Bank and Trust, 200 John St., Sturgis, noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 29.
• Redbud Fitness and Lifestyle Center, 500 E. Third St., Buchanan, 3 to 7 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Lippert Components Plant 228W, 1206 Eisenhower Drive South, Goshen, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Martins Super Market, 525 S. Mayflower Road, South Bend, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 31.
• Mimmos Pizza, 204 W. Edison Road, Mishawaka, 2 to 6 p.m. Aug. 31.
The American Red Cross will hold the following drives. Register at redcrossblood.org:
• A.K. Smith Career Center, 817 Lafayette St., Michigan City, 7:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. CDT Aug. 25.
• Renew U, 11 S. Main St., Knox, 12:30 to 5 p.m. CDT Aug. 25.
• NW Health Heart and Vascular Building, 901 Lincolnway, LaPorte, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. CDT Aug. 26.
• St. John Lutheran Church, 111 Kingsbury Ave., LaPorte, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. CDT Aug. 27.
• First Baptist Church, 1011 S. Indiana Ave., Goshen, 12:30 to 5 p.m. Aug. 28.
• Rochester Church of Christ, 120 E. Fifth St., Rochester, 1 to 6 p.m. Aug. 28.
• Plymouth Fire Department, 111 N. Center St., Plymouth, 1 to 6 p.m. Aug. 29.
• Bethel University Everest-Rohrer Chapel, 1001 W. McKinley, Mishawaka, 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Oak Creek Community Church, 833 Lincoln Way E., Mishawaka, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Lincoln Township Community Building, 3098 S. 800 East (Fish Lake), Walkerton, 1 to 6 p.m. CDT Aug. 30.
• Innovation Park at Notre Dame, 1400 E. Angela Blvd., South Bend, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 31.
• Peace Lutheran Church, 3590 Lincoln Ave., St. Joseph, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 31.
This article originally appeared on South Bend Tribune: Health briefs for South Bend area from Aug. 24 to Aug. 31, 2023